Peta has been practising corporate and commercial law for more than 25 years. She has vast experience acting both in an in-house general counsel capacity and in private practice, most recently as the solicitor director in her own firm and, prior to that, as a Partner in PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal. Peta’s clients have included public and privately owned companies, including multi-nationals, Government agencies and local councils. Peta also has many years’ experience as in-house counsel with a global IT company in Australia.
Peta has participated in the following personal/professional development programs:
• High Performance and Inspiring Leadership Workshops with McKinsey & Company;
• Client Focused Consulting with Huthwaite Inc;
• Strategic Selling and Negotiation Skills with Allan Parker of Peak Performance Development;
• Life Styles Inventory (LSI) with Human Synergistics;
• Business Development Training with Margie Tyrell-Binning;
• Masters Forum on IT Outsourcing at La Trobe University in Victoria, Australia, facilitated by leading US lawyer, Trevor Nagel of Shaw Pittman.
LLB (Hons) University of Auckland, NZ
Admitted in New South Wales and New Zealand
Examples of significant projects in which Peta has been involved, include:
• Assisting the City of Sydney to prepare tender documentation and contracts for a significant systems replacement project; negotiating terms and conditions with a number of vendors chosen to provide a variety of goods and services to the City.
• Advising on, drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements for the provision of services to a variety of organisations in different industry sectors, including National Insurance NZ (part of the Tower Group), Australia Post, Shell, Bank of Queensland, Southern Cross Medical Care Society (NZ), Gascor/Energy Information Services (EIS Victoria), NSW Businesslink. Typically, such contracts are complex and include service level arrangements, remuneration schedules, requirements for transition in and out of the arrangements, exit provisions, significant indemnities and liability provisions.
• Negotiating contracts for significant IT implementations for clients, such as Australian Pharmaceutical Industries, Globus Group, Challenger Financial Services Limited.
• Working on projects with Government agencies including the Department of Lands. Projects worked on with Lands included establishing contractual terms for new online business initiatives; drafting a suite of contracts for exchanging data with other Government agencies largely interstate; drafting contracts for the provision of property information to resellers; advising on interpretational issues arising from its contracts; advising on trade practices concerns arising from Lands’ varying contractual arrangements with a number of resellers and responding to resellers issues.
• Assisting clients with the acquisition, sale or commercialisation of key business assets and intellectual property, including St. Vincent’s Private Hospital, Resimac Limited, Jobpac International Systems Pty Limited, MediVac Limited, and Catholic Healthcare Services. Often, these arrangements involve international players and a multitude of difficult legal issues to negotiate and resolve. The parties are generally working to specific and tight deadlines to conclude the transaction.
• Project managing and conducting a privacy audit to ensure compliance of Wyatt Gallagher Bassett (as a government contractor involved in the HIH Insurance claims fund) with the Privacy Act (Federal) and both NSW and Victorian legislation relating to the protection of both personal information and health information. Preparing a report to the Department of Treasury and Finance (Vic).
• Corporate transactions, such as share acquisitions/divestments, restructures, capital reductions and refinancing for clients including OPSM, Fuji Xerox, Globus Group Pty Ltd, Quickcomm Pty Ltd, Communicator Interactive Pty Ltd and Allen and Buckeridge.
+61 3 8554 3800